First Soap

April 3, 2013. After about 3 months of on-off researching and thinking about making soap, I finally did it.  The only thing I lacked that day was safety goggles. Before going home from work, I stopped by the nearest department store. All I could find was motorcycle goggles.  Oh well.  I was determined to make my first soap that night, so I got myself a red pair.

For my first soap, I decided to use Gregory Lee White’s Easy Olive Bar from his book Making Soap From Scratch.  It is basically a castile soap with a little castor oil to lessen the slimy feel of pure olive oil.  I had read the book a few times and had spent the last few days scouring the internet for tips…. I was ready!

What surprised me the most was how fast it took to reach trace.  The moment the soap mixture looked emulsified, I stopped blending and immediately poured it into my paper-lined shoebox.  From what I had read, I was scared that the whole thing would turn solid and would be impossible to pour out.  But no such thing.  It was a breeze to make.  What was difficult was the wait!  The book said to “leave the box alone until the next day.”  Did I follow?  Of course not!  I was too excited and took a peek several times throughout the next 24 hours.

When the long wait was finally over, I was disappointed to see oily sweat on the surface.  It was not a pool of oil, but there was enough oily beads to know that something was not right.  After going through articles on soap troubleshooting, I decided to wait it out for a day, hoping that the oil would get reabsorbed.  No such luck. I read some more until I came to the conclusion that rebatching was the solution.  It sounded fairly easy.  So I chopped up the soap, dumped  everything in my slow cooker, and added a little water.  I don’t know what I was thinking because I did this just before dinner with my husband and a couple of friends.

The soap bits had half melted after I had finished eating, but it stuck to the sides of the pot and was so difficult to stir!  I added more water hoping it would melt down evenly. Let’s just say that I acted too hastily with the rebatch.  I put too much water and never got to melt all the soap bits.  Nonetheless, I scraped off the soap mess into my shoebox mold.  After 3 days, I was able to unmold and cut it.  The middle part was soft and translucent. I think I will have to wait for a year for this one to harden up.

First Soap & Rebatch

First Soap & Rebatch

Soap at 5 weeks old. The sides have hardened but the middle part is still soft.

5 thoughts on “First Soap

  1. Pingback: Beer Soap Rebatch | SoapJam

  2. Diva Soap

    It was such a fun reading about your first soapy experience! You actually had 2-in-1 shoot, CP and rebatching!
    Hope the soap is fine now,you obviously put too much water!

    1. soapjam Post author

      Hi Maja! I think you may be the only one who has read my first post on my first soap. Lol!
      Thank you for visiting and I am so happy to hear you had fun reading it. I seriously did not know what I was doing then! Lol! I put waaaay too much water. You could really see that it has shrunken quite a bit now. I have not used it yet. Outside it is hard but inside it seems not as hard as I’d like. I’m not kidding that it might take a year, okay, maybe 6 months, before it becomes really hard!

  3. Pingback: 1st Soap Anniversary & Giveaway Winner | SoapJam

  4. Pingback: Fil-Castile Soap: The Best of Two Worlds | SoapJam

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s