I have been doing a lot of hanger swirls so I felt it was time to try something a bit different. My goal was to make wispy swirls and my plan could only be executed if the soap stayed fluid. I honestly don’t have a definite approach for this technique. It’s all trial and error. I have tried pouring colors alternately straight into the mold, sometimes tilting it ala dandelion zebra swirl; I have also tried breaking the flow of the soap batter with a spatula so that it forms a thinner line. To make the swirls, I do it with a chopstick in 2-steps: the first swirl is done after half the batter has been poured, and the second swirl after all the batter has been poured.
Several times I had to abandon my plans altogether and do whatever I could to save the soap from rejection. That usually means a lot of banging. My neighbours are probably wondering what all that noise is especially late at night! 😀
I definitely need more practice and I think breaking the flow of the soap batter with a spatula produces better results. The problem is, I have a tendency to forget about the spatula! Except for Gingered Bergamot, I have been quite daring and I used fragrances that I have never tried before.
These are the ones that came out ok:
Blush- pictured below, had accelerated trace. You can easily tell from the rough top surface and the shaggy swirls.
This last one riced and traced very fast. I should have known. It is a fresh, clean, and sea-like scent. From my experience, this type of fragrance usually moves fast. I thought this was a goner, but after some patching up (the design makes a good camouflage), it looked pretty decent to me. I really love this scent. I hate working with difficult FOs but I think it may be worth the trouble.
This is my last post for 2014.
It has been an awesome soap-full year and I hope it has been for you, too! Thank you for being with me on this blog. It wouldn’t be the same without you. 🙂
I wish you all a splendid Christmas and a happy & healthy New Year!
See you again soon!